Originally published in HOUSE magazine
By Bonnie Reich,
President and Owner at Symmetry Closets
We want our homes to look beautiful, to impress our friends and to feel comfortable—we want to feel truly at home. I am a professional designer of small spaces: a professional closet designer. My goal is to use every inch of usable space and have it function according to my clients’ needs. After all, no two people are the same and everyone should have a closet that works for her/his lifestyle.
I recommend so many wonderful and beautiful products and accessories that really make the closet function at the highest level. I show my clients the latest materials and colors available for their cabinets. But that’s where my work ends, and the interior designer takes over.
When my clients and I work with an interior designer, the closet really becomes a thrilling space. Every detail beyond the cabinets is considered at another level. Interior designers bring their resources and add details that make it sing. Some examples:
* Benches are covered in cushions coordinated with carpeting and window treatments
* Wall paper and interesting paint finishes add layers of texture, making these relatively small spaces feel incredible
* Additional inlay materials are added to the door panels
* Hand selected handles and knobs are introduced to the design
* Even fun and funky pillows and throw are sometimes added to the design to make it a cozy hide away that reflects the owner’s personality
Interior designers add other luxuries as well. Planning for an island in the walk-in closet? The interior designer will bring fun, personal touches and accessories that make that incredible center island a real stand out.
I have designed, fabricated and installed hundreds of walk-in closets, but the ones that are memorable have all been as part of a team with an interior designer’s vision leading the way. For your next interior design project, small or large, hire an interior designer. The result will be satisfying, function well, and you’ll enjoy beautiful style for many years to come.